Monday, January 11, 2010

LET'S EAT!!

When we talk about "fresh" food...right away we think of vegetables, fruits, a nice fresh tossed salad.... simple ingredients prepared in the simplest way, and as good for us it is to eat veggies and fruits, it gets challenging in the winter months... who wants a cold salad?...when the weather is cold we crave more hearty, warm and comforting foods. So, with our "fresh" theme today...seeing as how we are still in the winter and most of you live in pretty cold areas.... the dish I'm going to share with you today is a little bit of both, it has simple ingredients, packed with nutrition, plenty of veggies and is served warm to satisfy that hearty warmth that we seek in the winter. (Although here in LA, the weather's been pretty nice and warm.)


warm lentil salad with balsamic dressing

  • 1 cup brown lentils cooked**
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion, sliced ( I prefer red onion here)
  • 4 celery stalks, sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 2 zucchinis, trimmed and diced
  • 1 cup of green beans, cut into short lengths
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • salt and pepper
  • cilantro (optional)
** Rinse and drain lentils, in a medium pot cover lentils with plenty of cold water and bring to boil. Boil for about 10 min, then simmer for another 15-20 min, till they are tender but still have a bit of a bite. (I throw a bay leaf in the pot, gives it more flavor) Drain and move to a large bowl, set aside.

*In the mean time prep the veggies.



*Heat oil in pan, add the onions and celery first, saute for 2-3 min, till soft but not browned. Stir in the garlic, zucchinis, and green beans and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

*Add the bell peppers and saute for another couple of minutes.




*Stir in the mustard and balsamic vinegar and mix well with the vegetables.

*Pour the warm vegetables over the lentils, toss to mix well, season with salt and pepper, I like to add some fresh cut cilantro at the end too, ( nothing says fresh like fresh herbs). Serve warm with some crusty bread.





I hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as we have and decide to play along, just let us know here, so we can stop by your corner and see what's cooking as well.

Enjoy!!







love...peace...joy...

11 comments:

  1. I will put my contribution in tonight.. will definitely be trying this recipe, sounds delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mari.... That's exactly what I needed! I love lentils and this salad looks mouthwatering. I shall go to the store and gather the ingredients to make tonight. Thank you so much. Your photos made this impossible not to want.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that you found my offering already and yes I like that the recipe was one that was vague in quantity so that you can make it however you like it. http://pipsparadigmstroke.blogspot.com/2010/01/lets-eat.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything I love in one recipe?!? I am definitely going to make this -- I feel my tummy warming already!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. now thats what i call FOOD!!! stunning

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks beautiful! Yummmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks amazing! those are some really great pix. I'm gonna print it now for later this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sweetheart, i can smell the red onion, all the way over here. this look so good. yummy!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am trying to eat only salads for lunch this week and i am going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha! i made lentil stew for lunch today and my kids were complaining. i think i shall try this next time. looks delish. p.s. yay! you´re finally joining. i´ll add your link. besos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. MADE IT!

    It was super easy and so delish. I actually think I may have accidentally over sauteed the veggies - didn't ruin the dish, but next time I'll leave a little more crunch in the veggies. The lentils came out perfectly... little bite to them and lots of flavor. The key is being liberal with the salt and pepper and a little extra drizzle of good fruity olive oil over the top is a nice finish.

    My hubs even liked this, and he's not all that into lentils. Thanks for the great recipe, Mari. It's a definite do over!

    ♥ Casa Hice

    ReplyDelete